10 Best Airports for Breastfeeding Moms in the U.S.
As part of their continuing efforts to help transform the culture of breastfeeding, the lactation pod pioneers at Mamava released their list of the ten best airports for breastfeeding moms in the United States.
The recent passage of the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 features provisions for the Friendly Airports for Mothers (FAM) Act, including a mandate that all large and medium-sized US airports be required to provide a clean, private, non-bathroom space in each terminal for the expression of breast milk.
Mamava CEO and co-founder Sascha Mayer says the selection process involved a number of variables. “We started with the busiest airports in the country, major hubs where most traveling mothers might find themselves,” Mayer explained. “From there, we looked at the total number of lactation accommodations in the airports and eliminated any that didn’t have at least four. We also looked at the ratio of lactation accommodations to terminals/size of the airport. As a final consideration, we evaluated the amenities that helped make air travel easier, and even more fun for breastfeeding mothers, who might also be traveling with toddlers.”
According to Mamava, the 10 Best Airports for Breastfeeding Moms are:
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- Miami International Airport (MIA)
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- Logan International Airport (BOS)
- Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)
- Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
- Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
- Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
- Chicago’ s O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
- Orlando International Airport (MCO)